I have a wife and a full time job
That should bring a lot of nods out there. Most of the developers I have met in my career are married and are parents. In a world where there is so many different technologies being developed and used, it can be difficult to find time to keep learning the craft and making sure the family is not affected. For example, I just learned about a framework made by the Apache Organization called Wicket. If I don’t keeping learning, I may not get the job of my dreams. If I spend too much time learning, I may not have to worry about my family anymore. Here are some of the other things I do besides my job:
- Write a blog(hmm, I wonder witch one that is).
- Volunteer webmaster for my church.
- Clean the kitchen
- Make coffee
- Help with the laundry
- Make the bed
- Do whatever else I need to do around the house.
- Oh yeah, help shop for groceries. My wife doesn’t trust me with her checkbook 🙂
So there is a lot to do besides eight hours of work five days a week and I need to do it all. Some things that I have found that work.
- Make time for learning at work. It is part of your job so you might as well do it at work.
- If you need to do some work at home, warn the family first.
- Finish your home stuff before computer stuff.
- Don’t spend all your home time at the computer.
That is all I can think of right now. What do you do to balance computer time and family time?